The grand Woodstock House in Kilkenny, Ireland was constructed in 1747 to a design by the prominent architect Francis Bindon. It was home to the Tighe family for generations, and large gardens, including an arboretum, were laid out in the grounds.
The property was occupied by the Black and Tans in 1921, and then by troops of the Free state Army. When the Free State Army left during the Irish Civil War, the house was left unguarded and burnt down. All that was left was an empty shell and so it remains to this day, 90 plus years later, overgrown with vegetation and propped up with scaffolding at the front.
We noticed what appear to be an old coach house, very sturdily built, in the grounds:
Must have been quite a place in it’s heyday. These days, Kilkenny Council have restored the garden and arboretum for visitors to enjoy, but there is no access to the ruined house.